The Sawtooth Rangers Riding Club held their first meeting September 30, 1947 at the courthouse in Hailey, Id. Floyd Wilson was elected President along with a full slate of officers including a drill team captain and six Executive Board Directors. Eighteen members joined. Regular meetings & picnic rides drew interest and the membership grew. By-laws were written and blue and gold were the chosen club colors later being changed to green. Articles of Incorporation were signed December 3, 1948, by the Board Members.
On May 1, 1948, the first annual western dance was sponsored at the high school gym. Other events included the spring breakfast ride as a kickoff for summer riding activities as well as an overnight ride, an active drill team and participation in jamborees with other southern Idaho clubs.
The first rodeo arena was erected by the members during the summer of 1948 at the Hailey Ball Park & made responsible for maintenance. The first rodeo, dubbed the Wood River Roundup, was held October 3, 1948 with such success that the club voted to sponsor an annual show July 3rd and 4th. It has now expanded to three days where cowboys & cowgirls with Intermountain Professional Rodeo Association (IMPRA) membership compete for generous cash prizes. In addition to professional entertainment, local talent provides favorite events such as home town bull riding & mutton busting with buckles and trophies as well as the talented & colorful Queens contest performances.
2009 brought about a smaller arena area but more seating capacity with ownership transferred to the City of Hailey with the Sawtooth Rangers agreeing to continue to produce the “Hailey Days of the Old West Rodeo”, truly a tradition.